The Flower Moon

Was waiting several months for this shot to happen with the perfect alignment. The Image I had in mind was for the moon to be perfectly over the peak, but as luck would have it literally one of the only clouds in the sky covered the moon at the peak.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

it was pretty difficult to shoot due to the high dynamic range as this was about 1 hour after sunset so I blended in a second exposure into the moon to bring back a little detail.
Nikon D750, 70-300mm, 240mm, f/7.1, ISO 1000, 4 sec

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

Michael, this is a spectacular image. And I think the moon placement in this photo is better than it would be if directly overhead…that would be too symetrical for my taste.

3 Likes

This is a dazzling composition, Michael. Beautifully set up. I am particularly dazzled by the moonshadow above the clouds. I also enjoy the flare of the moon over Mt Hood a pleasure. Nice exposure and/or processing to bring out the layers of foreground tones. With all that attention drawn to the moon, and with your remarks about a second moon image, I think I see that the moon is a bit straight-sided, as if the two moon shots were a bit out of alignment due to the moon’s travel.

1 Like

Michael, this really is an outstanding image, a testament to your pre-visualization. you got lucky with the clouds too :grin: I agree with @Tony_Siciliano about the moon placement, it’s much more dynamic than being dead center above the mountain. I also like the blue/purple colors you processed for in the sky, to me it’s more interesting than going really warm.

There is a hot pixel, or light in the lower right corner that shows up as a red dot, I would clone it away. I could also see this image being cropped to a 4:5 aspect ration for more emphasis on the moon and mountain. Normally I think something with strong horizontal lines works best with 3:2 or 16:9, but given how dominant the moon is here, this is an exception where 4:5 looks interesting too.

1 Like

Michael,
First off great job with the pre-visualization of this scene. I would not be to upset with the placement of the moon being to the left of Mt Hood as I think it has more visual tension and grabs the viewer’s interest rather than putting it dead center. I really like your processing of the sky and the clouds are a great bonus. This also has some wonderful layering which helps take me into the image. IMO @Ed_McGuirk’s couple of small tweaks nailed this beauty. This is a gorgeous scene.

1 Like

Hi @Michael_Trofimov, very nice scene, I love how you processed the shot. The light on the clouds is fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like