Super Moon A Rising

I have been trying to take an image of a super moon as it just comes over the horizon huge with nice color, but for the last few years there has always been clouds. This year the weather forecast was very promising. But when the moon started to come up there were some high light clouds and a little haze on the eastern horizon so there was no detail in the moon. I backed out and shot a much wider scene then I had planned. The sun was still lighting things up nicely a creating some alpine glow in the sky.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Does this work or any suggestions to improve it.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Danon 7D, Sigma 17-70, 70 mm, 1/100 sec, f13, ISO 400, Manual, Tripod, remote release, cropped to pano format.

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

I like especially the composition as the moon is rising up the mountain it seems. Maybe you could crop it a bit, to get still more attention the moon and the three mountains at the right.
I hope you don’t mind me trying. See my remake attempt .

I think @Ben_van_der_Sande crop helps simplify the scene. And having 3 buttes instead of 4, gets you into the rule of three, having odd numbers is usually more pleasing visually.

I agree, Ben’s crop improves it. I would even crop a bit more on the right to balance the left and right edges. Do you have a shot with a little space between the moon and the lane? I think that would also improve the photo.

Richard,

A beautiful scene and pano landscape - as well as a great moment in time - the moon cresting over the horizon.

I like Ben’s crop, although I’m good with your original as well, with perhaps a bit less sky up top?

Is it just me, or is the jpg quality way down? It almost looks like the “dust and scratches” filter has been used. The large views look to have lost much detail in the bluffs. Not sure what’s going on there.

Lon