Moonset, Pi'apa (Goshute: "Great Water"), Utah

Image Description

This is a location about 45 minutes from my home, the last 17 of which are on a very rough dirt road. It is a place of special significance to me, where solitude is readily experienced. I chose this morning because of the opportunity to see the full moon setting over the Great Salt Lake, which was named Pi’apa or Great Water by the Goshute people. The color in the moon is due to the presence of smoke from wildfires in the west. The landscape and lake exhibit the colors characteristic of blue hour.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.

• Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.

• Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.

• Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

I’d like feedback on composition, technical details such as sharpness, etc. so that I can improve my technique in future opportunities such as this.

Technically this looks very good. The thermal distortions will make things slightly blurry in these conditions but the moon and foreground look sharp.

Aesthetically, this engages me because of those thermal distortions. I like the ‘fata morgana’ style illusion on the land mass. I think the moon is verging on too far left but it still works for me…

Personally, I think the moon is a little too saturated, but I know this is a taste thing so I’d try not to let it influence me too much.

Nice work!

1 Like