More ICM

Hi Folks,
I have been playing with ICM, much of it not really nature oriented right now becaus a) I fractured my wrist and have to keep my cast dry and b) I’m in rainy Portland. I have been using my old Canon Powershot s 90 (size of a credit card, so no pressure on my wrist) to make a variety of images I’m calling abstract expressionist photography.

Here are a couple of my latest experiments. As usual, I’m curious to know whether you find them at all pleasing, intriguing, etc. Both of these are composites as well, so ICM, slow shutter, composites mis-using Photomatix with its selction tools because PS layers still seem far more complicated than I care to deal with. These take me maybe 5-10 minutes to process in LR and Pmatix.

Thanks in advance for any response you might have.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

do you find these pleasing? you see ways to improve the composition through crops, rotations, etc.

Any pertinent technical details:

1 Like

Ah, this is quite pretty, Marylynne. The third one reminds me of an aspen trunk in the Fall. I think these are very creative and very engaging. I especially enjoy #2 and #3. Curious what are the objects/subjects that you use to create these photographs?

This are enjoyable to look at. My favorite is the first; it is vaguely reminiscent of a Mark Rothko painting. If it were mine, I would lighten it a bit, either with exposure, brightness, or curves, and then paint in some color in the grey area in the lower right. My favorite technique for that is to pick the color, change the blending mode to Soft Light, decrease the opacity to below 10%, sometimes down as much as to 3%, and then paint away with a completely soft brush.

Thanks Tony and Adhika,

Tony: I’ll play with that gray area a bit.
Adhika: I fear telling you what they are could ruin your appreciation of them, but the first is a composite of a fleece throw and a large rolling recycling bin, the second is wall, curtains and a window, and the thirds just curtains and windows with light pouring in.

ML

Marylynne, these are great. Really fun and colorful. Don’t know if you happen to have a stainless steel refrigerator, but with the reflections on them they make great abstract photos. Hope you’re up and at it real soon.

Thanks Linda. My fridge is old school white—darn 1999 Whirlpool is like a Toyota, never dies so you have to admit you’re just in the mood for something new. :crazy_face: But in a couple of weeks, I’m staying in Palm Springs for a month. There is a stainless steel fridge and whole new palette to play with. Thanks for the tip!

You’re welcome. Have fun in Palm Springs . . . . and photographing the fridge!

Marylynne,

I too am enjoying this quite a lot. In fact, I’m having so much fun with these myself that I really relate to these. The colors are wonderful - and I’ve found mostly that colors straight out of the camera with these ICM’s need very little help. Colors are revealed in ways not seen in a standard, simple straight exposure.

Not that it matters, but I prefer 1, 3, then 2. In the first, it looks like there’s a small “color wheel” or something along the LR edge you could clone out. I don’t mind the presence of the gray block - maybe perhaps stretching the canvas to make more of it? Just a thought. Love the simplicity of the 3rd image - reminds me of one of those orange ice cream bars (mix of white and orange, don’t remember what they were called.) The last one a little less cohesive maybe? Perhaps taking down the brightness on the right?

sorry about the wrist and hopefully the recovery there and the weather will allow you outside in the near future.

thanks for sharing,

Lon

The first one screams “Rothko” at me and I love it! There’s a beautiful, and moving, energy of color in all these abstracts. Very creative work, another proof that a) gear does NOT matter b) that editing can be done without PS and c) that one doesn’t even need a fully functioning wrist…! Congrats!

1 Like