More than a fogbow

A DOUBLE fogbow, shot this morning. I was hoping to shoot a closeup in the treeline with fog giving ghostly silhouettes to different layers of trees. There was very weak ground fog early, but as the sun began to rise it nucleated in our little valley. I grabbed the camera and set up on the tree but the fog wasn’t heavy enough for the effect I was after. Then I started to think maybe I saw another fogbow… Could it be? Yes!! I wonder how many I have missed over the years! This is literally 15 ft out the door onto the deck. It’s a large expanse of glass but an overhanging roof blocks most of the sky. I’ll have to start paying more attention. I now have the 17mm TS-E set up so I can do a shift and probably cover enough width without distortion. (A guarantee it won’t happen again…)

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, Canon 24-70 II at 24, ISO 400, 1/250, f/10 – because I was too excited to look at the settings. Vertical orientation with 5 overlapping frames for a pano, assembled in LR. Linear profile with nothing heroic, but the fogbow was barely visible in the raw files. Into PS for Topaz Denoise (not really needed but why not). Slight perspective correction as the pano was shot with the camera pointed just slightly up to be sure of getting the top of the bow. Nik Tonal Contrast to bring out the detail in the sky. A couple of minor burns of brighter areas in the trees.

1 Like

Wow, that’s your back yard? Awesome image, Diane. I think the fog caused a bit of what looks like noise in the image because you’re at a low ISO…

The light is fantastic and catching the whole fogbow is really the icing on the cake here. I also really like the soft look and the soft colors. Fantastic image.

Diane, this is a fine catch of an fun atmospheric optics effect. (It’s described well here.) The inner bow is what’s called a supernumerary arc and it means that the fog droplets are a specific diameter with a limited size distribution. (Suparnumerary arcs also are seen in rainbows, where they show up as repeating colors inside the main bow.)

1 Like

Thanks @Mark_Seaver for the link – I have trouble keeping the various atmospheric optics effects straight.

@David_Bostock, it’s sort of the front yard, kind of… We’re perched on a hillside so there isn’t exactly a yard. Just off the right of the frame, the quarter-mile road/driveway comes in and goes behind the house to the garage. It’s uphill from there and downhill toward this view.

1 Like

Another beauty Diane, the double fog bow (supernumerary arc, thanks @Mark_Seaver ) adds even more interest to what is already a great image. What really works for me here with this composition is the spacing and balance achieved by the spacing of the trees. I guess lightning (or fogbows) can strike twice in the same place !!!