Fogbow

I had long wished to see a fogbow and was finally rewarded with one last summer at Yaquina Head near Newport, Oregon. During an unprecedented heat wave, the temperature in Eugene was predicted to reach around 112 degrees. I headed over to the coast to try to escape the worst of it. I arrived at Yaquina Head at 8:00 am and was extremely excited to see this fogbow.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

2 Likes

Wow! I’ve never seen anything like this Chris, but it looks like you captured it perfectly! I love the yellow flowers on the hill for the stage for it. Great composition!

It looks like you not only got your fogbow but you got 3 for the price of 1, Chris! Nice job of capturing the bows. The slightly visible water front landscape adds some nice depth to scene. Well done!

And a multiple one at that – fantastic! There is a glitch in the upper 1/4 in the left half where it looks like the image has been cut off with an overlay of plain sky.

Diane - That is the line where the fog ended, if I am understanding your comment correctly.

@Gary_Minish @Diane_Miller @Vanessa_Hill Thank you for your comments and feedback.

1 Like

That would explain it – I’m surprised to see such an abrupt top to the fog.

Wow, a Triple rainbow! That’s awesome Chris - and a great reward for escaping the heat!

thanks for sharing this!

Lon

Chris, this is a great catch that must have been a wonderful sighting. The repeated bows are called supernumaries and seeing two repeats means that the drops in the fog are nearly the same size.

“There is a glitch in the upper 1/4 in the left half where it looks like the image has been cut off with an overlay of plain sky.” and “Diane - That is the line where the fog ended, if I am understanding your comment correctly.” I agree. It is not unusual to have these kinds of sharp lines where temperature and/or humidity changes occur. A wonderful image. Thanks.

@Lon_Overacker @Mark_Seaver @JohnSnell Thanks for your feedback and explanations.

Oh my this is sensational, Chris. Congratulations.

@David_Bostock Thank you, David!