High Desert Rainbow

While visiting the Southeast Oregon high desert country recently, I spent a night in Frenchglen. There had been a few rain showers in the early evening. Afterward, I decided to take a short walk and, fortunately, took my camera. I didn’t really expect to get any photos, but was pleasantly surprised to see a short shaft of rainbow on the low horizon. It kept growing and reaching higher in the sky. The clouds and light were wonderful. This was taken during the golden hour with the sun coming from behind me, lighting up the sky and land.

High Desert Rainbow

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Chris, the rainbow is nicely bright as is the land. The flatness and long view across the land fits very well with the frame filling rainbow. I also like how the light shows the falling rain bands. BTW, the sun must be over your shoulder to see a rainbow. (It’s dictated by optical physics, check out my brief description in the topic description post.)

Mark,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my photo. I appreciate your remarks.

Chris

That’s a huge rainbow and you captured it very nicely, Chris! The sheets of rain really make it a dynamic weather shot as well. The lighting on the land in the foreground is very nice also.

Gary – Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Chris

Fascinating clouds adjacent to the rainbow. I like the wispy nests of the clouds in the sense of approaching storm. Good contrast between the foreground land and the sky.

I appreciate your thoughtful comments, David.

Chris: Ditto what David said. Marvelous capture of a magical moment. >=))>

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment on my photo. I really appreciate your feedback.