Morning Fogbow + repost

And a second version, described below:

It was foggy yesterday morning and I often run out with a camera hopes of finding some interesting light – and am often disappointed. But this time I didn’t get farther than the deck when I saw a fogbow above a smattering of interesting light.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
It’s a horizontal pano of 3 frames, but I don’t think that’s considered a composite?

Canon R5, Canon 24-70 II at 70. ISO 100, f/8, 1/125. Moderate tonal adjustments in LR then the pano assembled there. Into PS for NR (for the cleanest image for subsequent tonal tweaks), crop and several TK masks for the FG and sky and a few other quick-masked areas.

This is one I’ll revisit when I get more sophisticated with TK masking, as I don’t think I’ve done the best job of pulling out the optimum results.

1 Like

This is a winner for sure. Your “results” look good to me.

Beautiful image Diane. Lighting on trees is perfect

Totally dash-worthy!

Super light and I like how the arrangement of trees picks out and highlights the new day. And then yeah…a fogbow. Wow. A stunner.

In terms of masking, I’d play with some color tweaking in the trees. I bet you could subtly bring up some greens and yellows in there - specifically the mids and highs, leaving the darker areas cool with the blue of pre-dawn. Could be a corker!!

Nice catch, Diane. Everything looks quite natural with the full arch of the bow showing clearly. The spotlight on the tree beneath the middle is a good touch (it’s also necessary optically).

Thanks everyone! @Kris_Smith, I’ll give it a try, but these trees never have much color and by this time of year they are just plain tired looking. That one with some yellow (a Black Oak) is the only thing within a mile that even tries for autumn color.

I’m frustrated that the left edge of the bow is fatter, making it look distorted toward the left. I thought it might have been from the pano assembly, but the left frame has the same look. I overlaid a circle and surprisingly it’s actually fatter on the inside than the outside. There is a heavier bit of fog there.

How cool is that Diane. I have never had the good fortune to witness one of these first hand. The soft lighting in the trees is exquisite.

That tree in the middle that catch the sun light is so gorgeous, Diane!

Diane, I don’t think I have ever seen a fogbow before, so this is really neat to see. It is just as amazing that a scene like this is from your deck!!! Wow! How nice.

Now that is a really cool fogbow. I’ve only seen a fogbow once, near one of the the thermal areas in Yellowstone, so technically that was probably a steambow. In terms of the left side being “fatter” than the right side, I think that may possibly be due to the bottom of the right side being partially obscured by the tree, while we see all of the left side.

I think the foreground trees are too cool in WB. So here is a rework where I made a TK Darks 1 selection and applied it to a PS Photo Filter adjustment layer set to warming. Because this darks mask did not pick up the sunlit yellow tree, I also manually painted on the darks mask to add the yellow tree too, warming it a bit more. Food for thought…

I’ve gone back to the pano DNG and brought out a little more contrast and color, then to PS for some tree work along the bottom edge, some quick-mask areas for slight curves adjustments and a slight amount of Detail Extractor. I didn’t use any TK masks this time – I was getting too much tonal flattening from them. Lots still to learn. The revision posted above – I’m much happier with it.

NEAT! You should submit to weather sites. These are real but quite rare according to Google.

Thanks @Michael_Lowe, @Mario_Cornacchione, @Kris_Smith, @Mark_Seaver, @Ed_Lowe, @Adhika_Lie, @Shirley_Freeman, @Ed_McGuirk and @Tony_Kuyper! Tony, I hadn’t thought about that but will try to look into it. I’m sure I could do a lot more here with your masking techniques , if I ever get up to speed on them. I should have delved into this years ago! Outside of some tree trimming, this one is only a tweak away from the raw file.

1 Like