Morning delight

This was how my morning began, with this wonderful sunrise and gorgeous clouds. I was inspired to post this photo, not only by the beautiful cloud formation, but also, because of @Keith Flood’s recent post about clouds and the Cloud Appreciation Society. I love clouds and yes, I did listen to the discussion and went the Cloudy Appreciation Society website. Great fun and information.

I did some adjustments in LR; noise reduction and in PS; luminosity mask to dodge highlights, curve/levels adjustment layers for color control. Does it come across as too saturated?? It really did look like this.

Any other comments and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Nikon D7200, f/7.1, 1/60sec, iso 400, 28-300mm @ 48mm, hand held. Taken just after first light @ 7:12am.

Lovely clouds and color Linda. It does not look over saturated to me. Only suggestion I can think of is maybe some lens correction in LR or PS to help straighten the trees on the edges of the frame.

Saturation looks fine to me too. Normally an empty corner is a challenge for me, but I think this image has a nice sweep of clouds and dynamic range from the left to right and it works well here.

Thanks Eva, I appreciate your taking the time to comment. I’ve not used lens correction in either LR or PS before. I did test run in both LR and PS and was surprised at the results. PS seemed, at least on the surface, to be a little bit better. Thanks for pass that technique along.

Thank you John. Appreciate your kind thoughts and comments.

1 Like

Linda, the colors and saturation here look fine, very natural looking, and definitely not over-saturated. I love the look of the clouds, they look like feathers. Usually blue is a color that is easy to get over-saturated quickly, but the blues look great here. Agree with @Eva_McDermott on trying some perspective correction on the trees, with maybe more need for it on the right than left. What a nice way to start the day…

Thanks @Ed_McGuirk. After my brief testing of the lens correction filter (PS) I can definitely see the difference. It does occur to me this step needs to be done at the beginning of the process, otherwise, as I’ve just discovered, all of the other adjustment layers (luminosity masks) are off set. Great tool. Thanks again.