Morning Thunder

This is an image taken in 2014. I originally posted it on NPN with more high-key processing, but prefer this higher contrast/darker version. Any suggestions welcome!

Although very small in the original, I cloned out the portion of the viewing kiosk that was visible by the tree at the cliff’s edge.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Really nice, John. Great drama and stormy mood with the presentation. Good job on the conversion with a fine range of tones. No nits here.

Wow. The violence is impressive John. I think that the strong jagged diagonals greatly add to that violence. Imagine this with smooth rocks and the feeling is very different. The b&w medium is definitely the right choice.

I think most of us have been on the receiving end of smaller breaking waves in the ocean. Just imagine being on that rock and feeling the force of that huge cataclysmic explosion of water. Nicely seen.

Dang, this is a flat out awesome display of the forces of nature, John. The drama with the crashing wave and the moodiness of the fleeting clouds in the BG has created a very powerful image. It must have been awesome to be there and capture this. BTW, the B&W works perfectly here.

Sheesh! This is awesome! I saw this and actually uttered an expletive…and I don’t typically use profanity! The image is stunning. The exposure and B&W treatment are top shelf. From a compositional standpoint, I am particularly glad (for you!) that the wave breaks the “horizon” line of trees in the BG completing the gesture and revealing the inability to contain such power. Could look at this for quite a while! Thanks for sharing.

This image just screams West Coast. The power and drama of nature is on full display here.
:vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute::vulcan_salute:

John: I know exactly where this is and may have even been there on the same day you took this as my wife and I were there in November 2014 and were treated to the most magnificent surf show I’ve ever seen. I was on the south side of this set of offshore rocks. My next post was going to be one from here. I love the timing and the power and your image transported me back to that special day. >=))>

John,

I remember this one - and it’s no less impressive now! YIKES - very few images capture the immense power of nature, but this one certainly does. I don’t recall the processing when you originally posted, but this works quite well in expressing the drama and power of the sea.

Lon

John, this is a great “kaboom” of surf. The mist around it and the sharp rocks add well to the drama. I think your contrasty processing is right on target, accentuating the drama nicely. I agree with Igor about the WOW!

Great wave action, John. You caught just the right instant. I like the black and white and this darker treatment-I think it adds to the stormy look. An excellent image.