Mosaic Canyon

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I liked the color pallet and the juxtaposition of flowing lines with the rigid lines of the cracks. I wonder if I should have photographed from a lower position.

Creative direction

To photograph something not for what it is, but for what else it is.

Specific Feedback

All comments are welcome

Technical Details

Canon R5, 24-105mm at 24mm, 1/13 sec, f/16, 200 iso.

Description

I was looking to depict Death Valley through its details.

1 Like

Hi Don! This is an amazing pattern and the depth created by the rolling rhythm throughout the image is nice. Good sharpness. I know that the bottom right is essential in enabling the flow of the image, although it may be a bit dark, not matching the overall visual sonority of the image, so consider lightening that area about 1/2 stop. Checking the edges, I noticed that the upper right corner has a fragment in that corner. Consider cloning/ healing brushing
it out, as well as the very small fragment at the upper left edge of the frame. It’s eye opening how the smallest of adjustments can make a noticeable difference. I really like the interest created by the fracture lines throughout the frame. Keeps the eye exploring! It’s easy to get into saturating these types of images, but, given the amount of subtle color, but I think it’s fine the way it is.

Hello Don - I love Mosaic Canyon. You did a lovely job here, seeing something unusual and overall composing a strong image. I agree with Mr. Sweet about lightening up that gravely bit, for a better balance of light, and I would suggest a slight crop from the top and right corner, to keep the ratio there but eliminate those little pesky bits of dark in upper left and right corner. You might also try warming it up just a bit - adjusting color temp; the blue of open shade has muted some of the warmer brownish hues that run through the marble. Or just adjust the individual colors in HSL in Lightroom. Just a thought. My upload may not show it well enough as we all have different monitors, but you get the gist hopefully.