Moss spore capsules

These spore capsules on the side of a wet, mossy bank caught my attention as I don’t usually see such a thick mass of them. They were in a dappled light and this made them really glow. While the image looks as though I have over-saturated it, I haven’t actually adjusted the saturation at all.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any feedback is very welcome.

Technical Details

1/250s, F11, ISO 400
60mm macro

2 Likes

Woo hoo, sporophytes! And so thick on the ground. I’ve never been able to shoot a big mass like this with any success. Terrific colors and I like where you put the focus point - I think it gives a lot to look at along the line of it. You could work with some color masks (made easy with the TK8 Plug in for Photoshop) to tease apart the colors a bit more. The greenish bits are especially intriguing.

Phil, what a neat find and capture. I’m not familiar with these, but it almost makes an abstract. I like how the are all pointing in the same direction.

@Kris_Smith and @Shirley_Freeman . Thanks for your comments. Yes, I was lucky to come across this as I don’t usually find masses of them like this, or such bright colours.
I was a bit hesitant about posting this as there does seem to be a bit of a need among many members to see everything in sharp focus, despite it being really difficult when dealing with macro photography and especially photomacrography. To me, and it seems to many others as well fortunately, a small DOF that enhances or is enhanced by a decent composition creates a feeling or a moodiness that to me are important in an image. When all is in focus, macro images often appear as record shots. Anyway, glad you like it. Cheers.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree, it could be an abstract. It may nicely be one if the clarity/textures were softer. Pointing in the same direction gives a sensation of movement

Thanks Marie. Yes, I did think about making it an abstract but the realist in me won the day. Cheers.