Mossy Owl

Mossy Owl,

Thanks for critiquing. I was hiking in a 60,000 acre wildlife management area near Kenansville FL. I found this great oak hammock covered in Spanish Moss. It was pouring rain so the moss had this great high contrast look to it. I happened to spot this Barred Owl trying to stay dry. I took the camera out of my dry bag and attempted to shoot this scene hand held. It was a challenge getting focus on the owl, with the rain, and its slighlty off. Focus was on a twig behind the owl. It was dark so settings were a little crazy to get a decent exposure. Question, Ive printed it 12x18 and the owl does not bother me from a focus stand point, how about you. My intent would be to go for a 20x30 print and I think it will work fine if you dont pixel peep it.

Sony A7Rii, Sigma 150-600, iso 3200, 1/50th, f5, 150mm

Welcome all comments and critiques.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Approach is art based, I altered green hues towards yellow, and increased luminance of yellow.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

IG @afloridawildman

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Adam, this is lovely, to me. It is more about the environment, which I am thoroughly enjoying, and the owl is icing on the cake. The lighting on the moss is a treat. I would print it as large as you think you can get by with (mind you, I am not the pro when it comes to how large you can print it), and hang it where all can see! :+1::+1:

1 Like

Gorgeous light, Adam, and I love the look of the Spanish moss and the lines of the branches. I think this will work with the owl soft. It’s not the real subject of the image and at the distance from which prints of that size are normally viewed the softness wouldn’t be noticed.

I don’t know what you had outside the frame on the sides, but I think placing the owl a bit off-center horizontally would have made an even better image.

It’s still a very good image as posted.

Nice mood to the image. Well seen.

1 Like

Thank you Shirley, Dennis, and David. I appreciate the feed back. Dennis to answer your question to the right was just a big void of open space and to the left was a palm tree that kind of stole from the Spanish moss look.

Thanks

Beautiful image Adam and very well seen to zoom out to 150 for this. I love the comp as is.