Mount Babel Shroud - Repost

Edited

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This image was taken 20 minutes before the image I posted earlier this week of Moraine Lake on June 17, 2024. This was looking South instead of West from the same vantage point. The clouds had been hovering low over the top of the peaks and had just started to lift a bit. The sky was just starting to light up a bit with some interesting colors.

Specific Feedback

I probably should have left more room on the bottom for the downed tree. It was really cool with the recent snow on the frosty branches. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f4, 1/30s, iso 160, 24-105 lens at 32mm, cropped for composition. Timer with bean bag on a rock.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Ed, I like this one very much. The rock disappearing into the clouds works very well for me. I like the mood.

The trees don’t appear straight, particularly the largest one. There’s a small tree poking in at an angle at the center of the left edge. I’d get rid of it. Straightening the large tree might accomplish that.

Hi Ed, Lovely image you have shared with us here. Really captures the alpine feeling even on a june day. I like the rock faces against the icy trees. I don’t mind the trees, some just don’t grow straight… Fine work!

Thank you @Don_Peters and @guy for your kind comments. I went ahead and skewed the top of the image to straighten the tree a bit more. I think that was due to how the upward angle, close to the tree and how vertically long the image was, similar to what you get with images of skyscrapers sometimes.

Hi Ed,
You are really on a roll as this is another wonderful image from your trip to Glacier. The snow was certainly a bonus and I like the mood with the rock face disappearing into the cloud. I actually like the original a little better with that little extra bit of breathing room with the tree on the left side. Nicely done.

1 Like

I think the rework is an improvement. Terrific shot either way.

1 Like

Straight is good! :slight_smile: hard to tell sometimes…
You really got some exceptional images on your Glacier trip. Makes me want to go again!
Wonderful mood here, wih the mist and frost, nice comp, and fine detail.
Another compelling shot!

Thank you @Ed_Lowe, @Don_Peters and @SandyR-B. The Canadian Rockies, and the entire Rocky Mountain chain are my all time favorite areas to be. I don’t think the combination of wildlife and the scenery can be beat.