Predawn Shakes + Edited Version

Edited Version

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My wife and I got up at 3 am to get to the shuttle bus to Lake Moraine for sunrise last month. It had just snowed a little bit a couple of nights before and it was still overcast and frosty up there. I was taking photos from a bean bag, since I bone-headed and forgot my tripod at home for the trip, doh! This happened when I set the timer and then as I was adjusting the angles for the frame, it went off before I was finished. I was pleasantly surprised with the resulting blurred image. Then I tried to do a few more ICMs to see if I could get any others that I liked. Nah!

Specific Feedback

Too easy to tell what it is? Any suggestions for different crops or angles? Thanks for looking and for your suggestions.

Technical Details

Canon 5DMiii, f8, 1/4s, iso 400, 24 mm.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Not too easy at all, Ed. In fact looking at it I wasn’t absolutely sure whether it was a forest or a cityscape. ACM can sometimes create some very interesting images, so congratulations on deciding to keep it. To me it has a bit of a gothic feel-probably the blues and the spire in the middle.

Thank you Dennis. That spire is a nice tree.

Lake Louise, I think, for anyone who has been there and seen this perspective! (or maybe Moraine Lake)
Interesting image - the blues convey water to me, and the surrounding area of trees.
I like this!

Yep, Moraine Lake. Thanks Sandy.

Hi @Ed_Williams

1. I recognized before reading your description but that may be because of knowing the place well. it is not a problem that in my opinion.
  2. I would try to dial down the blue saturation a bit. it is certainly a unique take and why not :slight_smile:

Ed, although this may have been an accidental shot, I think it’s a successful one. That’s in part to this being a unique take on a popular location. Only you will have this specific version and that makes it unique. Yes the location is recognizable but that is quite okay.

I like cool color toning and frenzied nature of the scene. That line pine helps balance the composition. It’s shape is echoed in those repeating shapes on the left that lead the eye into the frame. If you were inclined, I would clone out the empty bright sky up top. Nice work all around Ed.

Thank you @Aref and @Alfredo_Mora for your encouraging comments. I made some edits as suggested. Not sure it really fits with my vision of the morning though.