Mount St Helens

Since today is the 40th anniversary of the Mount St Helens eruption I figured I’d post this on NPN. This was made on a mountaintop from Oregon looking north. There was a good deal of haze way off in the distance and I accentuated some of it with some dodging of the highlights near the sun. I also darkened the foreground mountains a bit while retaining some detail.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Is this too hazy and how do you feel about the foreground detail?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Single exposure. Luminosity & saturation masks.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
3 Likes

I love the colors in this image. Not too much haze for me…the haze adds to the feeling of depth. I wasn’t there, but what a day that was, 40 years ago!

1 Like

Thanks Mark. I was too young to remember but I’m sure anyone that followed it back then was probably in awe and scared.

Excellent image. Not even a nit.
It was a memorable event here in Yakima as were the weeks that followed. Thanks for posting.

1 Like

Not too hazy at all. I think the haze adds to the beauty of the image. I like that softness. It certainly adds to the depth of the photo. The purple and orange are such a nice color combination. What a lovely image. I remember the eruption and after effects well.

1 Like

Thanks Jim. I’m sure Yakima probably felt a bit too close for comfort.

Thanks Chris. That’s a good point about how the haze adds depth especially with multiple ridges of mountains in the foreground.

Beautiful photo Richard. Very well done. Regarding the haze, my only thought is that the very top of the sky, where the orange is turning to brown, seems too muddy. I think lightening it just a bit would improve it.

1 Like

Looks really good, Richard. I like hazy images and scenes and this is right up my alley. Love the color gradient and colors. Works great for me as is.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion Tony, I probably applied too strong of a vignette which caused that.

Thanks Harley! I’ve been trying to figure out more ways I can use the atmosphere in my favor.

This really gorgeous Richard, I love the interplay of orange and purple tones here. I agree with @Tony_Siciliano on the colors in the sky. Due to the luminous, hazy look of the sky, this is an image where you may not want any vignette at all along the top edge, and instead only apply the vignette below.

1 Like

That’s a good point @Ed_McGuirk. I sometimes get in a habit of applying the same settings on most of my images, and this is probably an example of where I should have paid more attention to what I was doing with the sliders.

The top layers of orange, yellow, and purple are fabulous. The bottom dark layer considerably less so. The bottom dark layer takes up 40% of the image and that’s far too much. I would make that layer about 1/3 of what it is now.

3 Likes

Thanks for the feedback Igor!

Gorgeous Richard and I have to agree with Igors crop, well very nearly. make sure you have the entire rhombus shape of that first pale field entirely included within the frame otherwise a really excellent image.

1 Like

Thank you @Ian_Cameron!

That’s certainly an interesting crop @Igor_Doncov. I’ll take all this feedback into account.