Mount Washburn Storm

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any crop suggestions to make this a stronger image. This photo was from a hike up Mount Washburn in Yellowstone National park late July with many monsoon summer storms around making for fascinating skies.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any pertinent technical details:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Larry,

Welcome again! Looks like I missed this one early.

The contrast between the darker, lower elevation clouds and the bright white cumulus clouds is amazing. I think most have seen these conditions during summer storms like this. But I don’t know if the contrast between the light and dark is too much? Not sure what to suggest there. But for sure, the sky/clouds are dynamic and impressive. And the scale over the grand landscape is impressive as well.

Hmmmm, a crop suggestion? Well, I think you included enough of the LR corner that cropping all that away is to problematic. I’m just wondering (back seat driving after the fact…) if it were possible to get in front or above the snags to just have a view of the grand landscape and summer storm? I do like the inclusion of the forest and green meadow areas and would like to keep that. I guess I’m struggling with the burned old snags. Other than provide scale and perspective, they’re just not the best looking snags. Maybe though, cloning out the flower tops in the LRC might help some. Not sure.

I’ll go out on a limb and suggest the b&w and major crop. This alters your original significantly, but wanted to get the sense of getting in front of, or eliminating the foreground and snags. A crop that left the tree tops, so those were cloned out. Then a quick pop in to Nik’s Silver EFex b&w converter. I’m sure working from a web rez image won’t get as good a results as an original, but here’s a quick attempt. Not sure if this agrees with your vision or preferences.

Grand view and thanks for sharing.

Lon

Great Image and great sky. I like Lon’s conversion to B&W but I think his crop cuts off a bit too much. I think your original crop and maybe trying to clone out the trees in the lower right corner may be the best bet. It will be difficult to get it to look clean with the cloning but I’m sure it can be done.

I very much like this version.