Mountain Bluebird on Sandstone

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: K5 IIs 600mm f5.6 (1/200sec at f8.0, Iso 320) Crop for comp, Levels, Shadows & highlights, Brightness & Contrast, DeNoise. Bluebird feather color looks the best when conditions are not great for photography. This was taken with my “oldschool” manual focus lens and a camera not designed for high speed photography. The color of this male mountain bluebird against the sandstone makes this one of my favorite photos……………Jim

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Jim, top notch. I like the color combination. I love small in the frame type of shots but they seldom work for me. This is one that does work. I think it’s perhaps mainly because of the color contrast but I think the simplicity of the scene also helps to make the bird really stands out.

I can see why it’s a favorite, Jim. Beautiful color and I like the loose composition.

An excellent image. I really like the contrast between the perch the background and the bird. This is what avian photography should be all about from an artistic point of view.

Thank you. This bird taunted me and it must have known that I was using a manual focus lens. …Jim

Hi Jim, really nice small in the frame image. The color contrast with the surroundings are marvelous. Really well done.

Hello Jim, I can imagine it’s one of your favorites. The bird stands out very well against the surroundings - my motto always is "the best light is no light’ since feathers usually show better without sunlight hitting them. Love it ! Cheers, Hans

1 Like