Mountain Blue Bird

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any/all

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any/all

Any pertinent technical details: Canon SX60, F6.5, 1/320 sec., ISO 100, -0.3 exposure at 247mm

Taken at Yellowstone NP. I have never seen this bluebird before and it doesn’t seem to fit any in the bird books I own, so please correct me if it is different than a mountain bluebird.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the color and the exposure is just about perfect. Nice contrast between the pine needles and the bird. I don’t see anything like this in Sibley. Perhaps others can help with the ID.

Given your location and having had a home in the high mountains of the west where I had gobs of mountain blue birds on the property, I would feel certain identifying this bird as a mountain blue bird. It could either be a juvenile, a morph or you were at such an angle that the bird’s iridescence wasn’t apparent.

Here is another shot of the same bird - unedited,.

There was a flock of about 6 or so, so it might be another one.

Just the facial shape of the second one you posted tells me it’s a Mountain Bluebird, Patricia. Absolutely typical Bluebird look. I haven’t seen that pale a breast, but the light angle can make a big difference.

On your first post, the exposure looks good and I like the tuft of needles in front, but it looks like your AF locked on the needles rather than the bird, so it’s just a bit soft.

Another vote for a mountain blue bird. My critique would echo Dennis’s.

Thank you for identifying the bird. Your input is appreciated.

I am in total agreement about the mountain bluebird identification. I see them often (adult, male, female, fledglings) but I don’t think I have ever seen one this pale. It’s worth checking with the Audobon society to see whether this is a unique morph or an albino variation or simply more common than we realize.

Lovely image too. I like the perch, sky behind and the pose. It looks wary but curious and trusting :wink:
ML