Female Mountain Bluebird

This species is considered a rarity for my area and was reported for a couple weeks on the local ebird-alert. I wasn’t sure of the area or location but went for a look and found it and to be cooperative at sunset.

Specific Feedback Requested

There were a lot of tall sticks and stalks in the background I used a 50% crop to isolate the bird and softened the background,

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D7100, Nikkor Lens 200-500 @500 5.6 @1/3200, ISO 640 with tripod

2 Likes

What a beautiful bird and incredibly complimentary background. Well done Stephen.

This is just beautiful. Nice job with both the bird and the background. I love Mountain Bluebirds and this photo is as good as it gets. We have quite a few of them where I live in the summer only. It’s a sure sign of spring when they show up. They are always near by, but rarely stay close enough to photograph.

Thanks for your comments, @David_Bostock @kelly_cole , they are much appreciated. Kelly, after 20 minutes of watching it, the bird got use to my presence and seemed to almost pose for some shots.

A lovely portrait with a beautiful subdued color palette. Audubon redux!

@Diane_Miller Thanks for the comment Diane

Hi Stephen
Love Blue Birds. This is a new one for me. You did a great job on the framing, detail, eye contact and coloring. This photograph would be a great add to any birding book.
Peter

@peter Thank you, Peter. I appreciate your comments.

Excellent portrait of this female Mountain Bluebird. I love how the background colours perfectly mimic this lovely lady’s plumage. I certainly applaud you on capturing such a sharp image of this bluebird, as they rarely sit still long enough for me to create something of quality!

The only thing I will bring up is that I find myself wishing for a crop that is a little less centred. However, that is just my two cents, and we all have our own artistic vision. :slight_smile:

@Jenaya_Launstein, thanks for your comments, Jenaya. After about 20-30 minutes of watching its various perch and hunt locations , it tolerated my presence pretty easily at about 10-12 yards and seemed curious about my intention. I had never seen the female of this species and the male only in the Sierra’s.

1 Like

This is a well-crafted image with superb composition. The background goes so well with the birds plumage. You got an excellent head turn and the perch is just right for a bird this size. I wouldn’t change a thing.

@David_Schoen Thanks for your comments David, I appreciate your input.