Female Western Bluebird

The Bluebirds have continued to come by in the mornings and we had some nice sunshine first thing today between rain squalls. When I went out to fill bird feeders, the Bluebirds were everywhere, so I had to go back in and grab my camera.

While they’re used to us and will let me get within acceptable range, I still end up with some pretty substantial crops as they’ll fly if I get too close.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything you see.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I wanted to include the branch on the right, which forced me into a different crop than I would have used without it. Does this composition work?

Any pertinent technical details:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/800, iso 800, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to a 9.1 MP 7x6. Taken at 9:46 this morning under sunnyish skies (some clouds were just starting to filter the sun).

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Some of our BBs are back too, and looking forward to many in AZ in January.
This comp , while a little different, works very well, imo.
I might try to move the bird a bit to the right, if possible, but still preserve the buds on the right tree.
Any chance you can coax a little more colour from the bird?
Sandy

Hi Sandy. If you’re thinking about more color from the head, I’m afraid the female is rather dull in that department, particularly this time of year. I was pushing reality a bit on the orange breast as it was. The feather tips will wear off over the winter and by spring she’ll look a bit brighter. Thanks for the input on the crop. I’ll play with it some more.