Female Eastern Bluebird

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Looking for some feedback on the crop and color.

Any pertinent technical details:

5D Mark III
400mm (100-400mm f/4.5-5-6L IS II USM)
1/100sec
f/5.6
ISO 800
6:34am

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Hi Duncan:

I think your narrow pano crop had potential to work, but for this image isn’t overly successful. If you have another frame from the same sequence where the bird is looking to our left, into the frame this comp would be more successful. As is, the bird is looking out of the frame on the right which leads me out of the frame. The only thing that brings me back is the very bright white part of the background on the left. I don’t know what’s back there, but I’d bring down the luminance of that area a lot.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback!

Regarding the white background, it’s a fence. I agree that I should probably bring its brightness down.

This is full width of the image, so I think I might re-crop it to better work with the line of vision of the bird. unfortunately I think I might just have to scrap the 1:3 crop as a whole for this shot.

I could see cropping most of the left side away, close to the furthest most left branch, and still have a pano crop. The color looks good and I like the background.

1 Like

Thanks for the comment!

The problem when cropping down that far, is that you really start to lose the definition in the image and it all comes unwound at that point. I can post the full uncropped image for comparison if y’all would like.

I might try a vertical crop on this one to see how that works.

Hi Duncan. Welcome to the Avian group. It looks like you have excellent detail in the Bluebird, so I think you can get away with further cropping, though it’s hard to tell without actually doing it. Cropping from the left to the end of the bright area might work nicely. I’m curious about the pale streak near the the top that goes across most of the frame-was that a wisp of fog or something else?

1 Like

Thanks for the comment @Dennis_Plank!

Yeah when I start to crop in, the image starts to get all pointillism-y, as well as the Branch isn’t nearly as sharp as I’d like. Maybe I’m just being too picky.

The white fog you were talking about was actually a telephone wire (or maybe it’s just electric wire). I wish it was something like fog, but it’s shot against another farm next door to my grandfather’s property.