Western Bluebird close-up

This Western Bluebird was going back and forth between some nearby berry bushes and this resting place. It was early morning, and I like that I caught it in the sun, amidst the shadows.

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

Are the two big branches too big and heavy in the frame?

Technical Details

I cloned out some smaller branches in the blue background, and added some warmth to what was originally a blue-ish cast.
500mm (750 equivalent), f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 640

2 Likes

This is a beautiful shot. I don’t mind the branches as they are…you have left a lot of room on the left so bird is not squished in. I don’t know this bird but the large branches highlight it is small.

1 Like

Beautiful bird, Mark, and a great image. I just saw and photographed my first Western Bluebird last week. Well done, sir.

1 Like

We have Eastern Bluebirds here, Mark. Much the same except their blues are a slightly different hue. I like that the background behind the bird is light blue. Seems to make him blend in and yet stand out, if that makes any sense. Well done.

1 Like

Outstanding color and detail. Really excellent head turn. I like the composition.

1 Like

Thank you @Robena.Sirett , @David_Bostock , @terryb , and @David_Schoen . I’m glad you like this. Robena, I appreciate your comment about the room to the left to counter the visual impact of those branches!

There’s a nice spotlight effect on the bluebird and the branches provide a nice frame. Good detail and pose. Always a beautiful bird to photograph.

1 Like

Thanks Allen! Appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Awesome image, great composition, fantastic color balance. Well done, Mark!

1 Like

Thank you @J_Fritz_Rumpf. I appreciate your feedback.

1 Like

Hi Mark
Bluebird are always fun to photograph. The only thing you might look at is lowering the hot spots on the end of the lower branch. You have great eye contact, coloring and framing.
Peter

1 Like

Thanks @peter, I appreciate as always your insights. I remember bringing down the highlights on those bright spots in one of the versions I processed, but I neglected to do it on this one and just kind of totally missed it! Thanks for pointing it out.