Male Eastern Bluebird

Our Bluebirds are back! So glad of that. They have been working on building their nest. I shot this through the window the other day when he stopped to take a break.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything you see that might improve the image.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D Mark II, Sigma 150-600 mm Contemporary lens, manual exposure (except auto ISO), f6.3, 1/2500, ISO 800. Minor edits in LR and Topaz AI Clear.

2 Likes

Wonderful, Shirley. I can’t imagine changing anything. Your sense of composition, at least for me, is spot on. You’ve given him plenty of room to move through the scene and the branches/perch, with all the leading lines, works well in bring the attention on the blue bird. Only wish the one branch in front on him wasn’t there. … but seriously, this is a fabulous capture.

1 Like

A beauty! Such sublime light and the colors show up very well. I don’t mind the little branch in front, but wish the one behind wasn’t there. It could be tricky, but you probably could get rid of it with some effort. I hope they stick around and pose for you more often!

1 Like

Great detail and colors. I like the background and perch. I do tend to prune a lot in my photos, so I’d be removing the branch in front of the bird, the one behind it and maybe one or two on the bottom left-but that’s just me. I do like the perch though, but I tend to remove extraneous branches that aren’t directly connected. But that’s personal preference and the image looks great as presented.

1 Like

Lovely bird, nice matching colors in the image. Ideally there would have a little less branches in front of the bird, but what can you do (except try and clone them out). Either way, a pleasant shot. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

Wonderful, with an excellent natural setting and great BG! If this is a regular perch and is reachable, a little actual pruning could be good. I put up photogenic perches near nest boxes and feeders and they tend to be used often enough to make it worth the time to lurk and wait for somebody to show up.

2 Likes

Lovely shot of this bird Shirley, and a simple background to help it stand out.
I agree with Diane about the pruning.
I’ve never seen a Bluebird, we don’t get them around here.

1 Like

Well done with outstanding light, pose, setting, color. One of your best.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,

Switching to birds when there’s not a good variety of bugs keeps a macro photographer happy. You may try to get a more reasonable perch and photograph the bluebird when there’s high overcast. The blues will pop under that type of lighting. The bluebird is sharp and you did very well shooting through a window…Jim

1 Like