Western Bluebird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I had traveled to a park noted for early migrant warblers and hoped to get a sighting and maybe a good image. It was early in my walk out when this bluebird landed at eye level about 25 yards away, hopped around and positioned itself on a good focal plane with twigs and leaves and seemed to say " Warblers…? What about me? " I froze and slowly swung my heavy camera and lens up and hoped auto focus and VR would latch on before the bird flew. I had a good 15 seconds. Did not get the warblers but was very satisfied with this image.

Specific Feedback

I loved the background and the color combinations.

Technical Details

Nikon D7100 with Nikor 200-500 lens, handheld at 500. ISO 1600, 6.3 @ 1/1000. Some day soon I hope to replace or upgrade from this relic of a camera.

Those old ones still have a lot of good service in them, Stephen. I’m rather puzzled by this image. You caught the Bluebird in that lovely foliage and it seems to be in the same plane as the foliage, yet the plant is wonderfully sharp, but the plumage in the bird seems a bit soft and I have trouble reconciling the two. The eye looks sharp and I see parts of the plumage that look a sharp as do the legs, but most of the plumage doesn’t seem to have a the fine detail I’d expect. Did you process the bird differently from the background or use one of ht e AI noise reduction programs?

I really like this. The composition is excellent; I like the the delicate foliage and the complementary background. As with Jagdeep’s post of the woodpecker, it ain’t the camera, but the photographer. Very nice capture.