Western Bluebird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We had some nice light yesterday and I went out to sit by the bird feeder, not sure I would get anything. I sometimes put up a blind but it’s down for the winter so I just sat quietly, with a long lens. I was astonished when this lady came along – there’s no live bait, but there is a birdbath nearby. She sat there several minutes – I wonder if she might be thinking about using a nearby birdhouse.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Screenshot 2024-01-28 at 2.09.45 PM

Minor tonal slider moves in LR. Into PS for Topaz Denoise and a couple of hand-brushed quick masks for some subtle curves tweaks. Cropped on the sides from a landscape format.

4 Likes

Simply beautiful!

Great perch, nice simple background and superb detail in the bluebird, Diane. A gorgeous image.

Thanks, @David_Bostock and @Dennis_Plank! The BG is trees about 200 ft away and downhill so I’m mostly looking into the tops. They’re covered with lichen with some grass behind them. It feels like cheating to sit behind a tripod and wait for them to come and pose, but I’ll settle for it. And I just saw her sitting on the perch attached to the birdhouse!! Maybe I’ll get more chances.

Your patience paid off-not cheating at all. No nits here. Great pose, perch, and background. A lovely image.

Wonderful image Diane. I like the composition with the head turn and curvy branch. Detail is fantastic. Well done!

Thanks, @Allen_Brooks and @Allen_Sparks! Hope I can get back to birds this spring. Didn’t manage enough time last year – for no good reason.