Western Bluebird

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Another from the brief session yesterday that netted the orange House Finch. A pair of Bluebirds appear to be nesting in a box I put up, although they are being harassed by Acorn Woodpeckers. A Woodpecker will be hanging on the box trying to poke its head into he hole and both Bluebirds will be fluttering around frantically dive bombing it but never getting close enough to bother it. But then a few days ago I looked out the kitchen window and saw a ground squirrel running frantically down the driveway with a Bluebird literally on top of it, looking like it was hanging on and furiously pecking it. I don’t think there is any way it could get into the nest box, but it could climb the post it is on top of.

Specific Feedback

All comments welcome. Hopefully better pictures in the next few days with better light and from closer.

Technical Details

Screen Shot 2023-06-08 at 4.37.25 PM

Dull cloudy light. Shadows lightened in LR, then into PS for Topaz Denoise Low Light mode. Cropped to about 30% of the original frame.

Hi Diane, love the backwards glance of this bluebird. The beautiful colors on the back of the bird are shown off well. I do wonder if the image could be improved by darkening the background especially on top as the brightness seems to compete with the bird (to my eye anyway). I like the curvy perch too. Nice image.

Wonderful pose, detail and colours! I am not a pixel peeper as much as I peep at people’s camera settings! Astonished you took this at 1/100 with a long lens. I am guessing you have a great tripod set up. How do you stop any shake? Do you use a shutter release cable?
Again a wonderful photo!

Thanks @Allen_Sparks and @Robena.Sirett. Allen, I originally had darkened the top but felt the bird looked a little closed-in, so I lightened it instead. Here’s the darker version. It does bring out a hint of structure in the BG – I might do a Detail Extractor on the BG and see how it looks.

Robena, I was on very thin ice with that SS, due to dark clouds. (That aperture is wide open with that lens and the TC.) It was shot right after the orange House Finch I posted a couple of days ago, seated with a monopod braced between my knees. Hands on the camera needed for stability, and pressed against my forehead. Electronic shutter for any help it might give, but I think electronic first-curtain would give the same image-stability. The body and lens claim very good stabilization. All the shots I did of both birds (about 20) are equally sharp, except one where the bird moved its head. But I would not use that SS unless I had to. I should have a chance for better light in the next couple of days and will be after the Bluebirds and whatever else ventures in range. A lower ISO will also contribute to sharpness as these are big crops.

2 Likes

Beautiful image of the bluebird, Diane. I do prefer the slightly darker top. The top of the head kind of faded into the background on the original post. This is just enough to make it stand out.

Thanks for your detailed reply @Diane_Miller Diane…gives me lots to think about. Living on the west coast I have lots of cloudy days to negotiate!

Diane, the pose and that nicely curved branch look great. The details in the birds feathers show that it’s been working hard as the signs of wear in the wing coverts show clearly. The slight darkening of the sky helps nicely.

Nice pose and perch with good detail and color in the bird. I like the colors of the background, they work well with the bird and I’ll vote for the darker background as well. Nicely done.

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank, @Mark_Seaver and @Allen_Brooks! Looks like the darker top wins – thanks for the extra eyes! This guy has been in and out of the nest box and probably some bug-infested bushes. No sign of feeding yet.

1 Like