Western Bluebird repost

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I am re-posting a Western Bluebird photo. I was not aware that the first post had some soft focus issues on the subject especially in the chest and belly area. But when pointed out, I used the Compare tool in LR with the raw photos taken within seconds of each other, I had to agree. Thanks Dennis P. for the input. This one has a slightly different pose posture but I think the feather details show better clarity. Thanks for looking.

Technical Details

Nikon D7100 with Nikor 200- 500 handheld @ 500 with ISO 800, f6.3, 1/1000. Original post was ISO 1600 perhaps that had an effect on the sharpness. Using Auto ISO on most bird shots these days.

1 Like

Much better detail in this one, Stephen.

Thanks for pointing it out to me on the firsts one, Dennis

A nice catch, but looking at the histogram confirms my feeling that the image is underexposed. Here’s a quick and dirty curves fix. Could be much more sophisticated in the raw conversion.

@Diane_Miller Thanks for taking a look, Diane, the image certainly pops more with the increase in exposure

Thanks! I should have added a little midtone punch (Clarity slider in the raw stage) and some saturation or vibrance – you have the tonal overhead to be able to use both successfully.

Very good, I like the image and will rework along those lines . I had originally thought I would go for a darker tone to keep in mind the conditions and light I had. But I like this look better.