Mountain King

Critique Style: Initial Reaction

Please share your first response before reading the hidden notes below. The photographer is looking for an unbiased initial impression.

Feedback Focus: Artistic / Expressive

Questions for Viewers

I’m wondering whether the mood or feeling I was aiming for comes through here.

About This Image

I set up this remote DSLR camera trap based on a hunch and a single footprint I found beneath the rock in a tiny patch of melting snow at the beginning of winter. Fast forward several long months later, I captured this image. I have tracked mountain lions on this mountain for the past several years now. During this time, I’ve become aware of how these big cats move across the landscape, areas where they prefer to hunt or ambush their prey from, where and how they mark their territories, and I’ve even witnessed one successfully taking down a deer on this mountain. I’ve dedicated many, many days entirely to just following tracks. As with any animal I photograph, I want to learn everything there is to know about that particular species. I still haven’t figured it all out, but I have much more experience now than I had several years ago when I started this quest. This remains one of my favorite shots from the winters I’ve spent on the mountain. Speaking of that mountain, I just wrote an essay for the latest issue of Nature Vision documenting all my trials and tribulations with camera trapping these elusive cats. Check it out if you’re so inclined!

Technical Details

Camera: NIKON D5300
Lens: 10.0-20.0 mm f/4.5-5.6
Focal length: 10mm
Shutter speed: 1/125s
Aperture: f/10
ISO: 500

Feedback Requested

I’m not asking for technical advice, just wanted to get your thoughts on the image as a whole. This location proved very difficult to get a DSLR camera trap installed. The overhanging rock is no more than 3ft across, and it sits on the side of a steep mountainside, hence the need for a 10mm lens. There is a lot I can control with these types of shots, the composition, the exposure, the lighting, and even where the animal is placed within the scene, and quite a few things that are out of my control (such as the time of day when the subject shows up, the direction the animal is moving, etc).

2 Likes

Zack: Not sure what mood you were looking for but to get such a fantastic critter in simply spectacular light spiked my :scream:-meter! Your efforts were certainly richly rewarded. Thanks for a fabulous image and the back story to go along with it. :+1: :+1:>=))>

Without reading your description, I mostly see curiosity here and anticipate your camera maybe turning into a cat toy.

Looks like you’re going to be evicted at any moment! What strikes me most is the gorgeous light slanting across the cat’s front and onto the rock. The animal stands at the cross-point of two diagonals which to my eye makes for a very strong composition. Excellent! (I second Dennis’s feeling).

Whoa! This one really grabbed my attention, Zack. How nice of the mountain lion to pose during such perfect light. My first thought was “I hope you had a really long lens.” Glad to hear it was remote. I agree that the look suggests curiosity.

Wow. Can’t read the description for some reason. Blurred out. Love to get the particulars. Stunning.

Hey @Andrew_Sentipal, I think you just have to click on it to show it, but I’m new here so take my advice with a grain of salt :wink:

Zack,

What an incredible wildlife and habitat image. So fantastic it should be “Wildlife image of the year” somewhere…

No idea what mood you might be after, but my impression of the captured scene and cat is one of surprise and/or curiosity. The mountain lion is so cute like a stuffie… that I don’t get any impending danger thoughts… although my head knows otherwise.

Kudos on the ongoing effort and dedication in capturing these remote images of wildlife in their element. Outstanding execution. Congrats!

Without reading your details, my first impression is that you have the most beautiful light on this cat and the rocks next to it. The cats expression says surprise encounter, and I’m wondering if you had the same expression on your face. Were your instincts to take the shot or run for your life, obviously you took the shot.
Really amazing capture.
Alice

I love this! It immediately grabbed my attention. Not only is the cat stunning, but a beautiful landscape too.

@Bill_Fach forgive me, I’m new to NPN and haven’t quite learned all the ins and outs of the new critique forum. I must have clicked on something asking for the mood. :sweat_smile: I guess I just wanted overall thoughts on the image as a whole! Thanks for your feedback!

@Mike_Friel Hah! What if I told you all that I created the light using a single speedlight with a warming filter on it?

@Allen_Brooks Thanks Allen. See my above comment to Mike on the light!

@Lon_Overacker appreciate it!

@alice thank you, see my comments above regarding the light :slight_smile: Also, this is a remote camera I set up months earlier, so I was not in the area when the cat passed through.

@Elizabeth thank you!

Zach, the lighting on the cat and the landscape do a fine job of telling us about how shy these big cats can be as well as the season. It’s clearly aware of the camera. A “what happened next” shot would be fun…did it investigate further or run…

A killer image :heart_exclamation:

Love the expressions of cat, it appears stunned to have found the camera and flash too! And it is composed as if you were behind the camera :laughing:

Cheers :heart_exclamation:

Zack,

Like the others who have commented, I am not sure what mood you were hoping to capture, but what I see in the lion’s face is curiosity. The lighting is very nice, and I guess it was fortunate the lion came by at the opportune time.

Wow Zack, great image! To me the mountain lion looks suprised to see your camera. What an amazing background. The lighting is great. Absolutely phenomenal use of a remote camera :grinning_face:

I like the look on the mountain lion’s face after it spotted your camera rig. Lighting and results of your efforts are awesome! The V shaped intersection of the rocks frame the subject perfectly. The one thing that’s overlooked in nature photography is the research and study for each subject. Even with insects that I photograph, I usually hit the books and spend a lot of time observing behavior that always leads to a near perfect photo. Well done and a very deserving EP–Congrats!!..Jim

Spectacular. Nothing else need be said.

Hi Zack,
Well, my mood cannot be expressed in polite company, nor could the condition of my shorts if I was hiking or camping and saw this in person. Fantastic eye contact and pose. I often say, “I’d love to see a cougar…from the car.”
ML

Top notch. Wonderful lighting and pose. Love the look on the cat’s face.

Simply fantastic!! What else can you say?