"Mourning" - Death Valley, March 2018

After the loss of a family member earlier this year I retreated for some down time to Death Valley. This image was made on the Mesquite Dunes in the morning. I wasn’t out to accomplish anything specific
photographically but many of the images from that trip were predictably simple and a bit somber.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Would appreciate anything related to post and high key treatment of the dunes

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

composition and/or immediate first impressions

Any pertinent technical details:

107mm, ISO 200, 2.5s exposure, f16

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Wow, this gorgeous…I like the lines, the light and that last ridge is awesome.
Very nice work, sorry about your loss…

Simple and beautiful. The processing works great for me. A great study in shapes and tones.

My first impression is very positive. Maybe it’s just me but I don’t find this to be particularly somber.

I have to confess a small yawn and the thought “Oh yeah, another dune picture.”

But that was before I scrolled down to it (laptop viewing has it’s limits!).

Was I ever in for a nice surprise. This is head and shoulders over any I’ve seen in years. Can’t say enough good things about comp, exposure and processing. I’d make this about 10’ tall and hunt for a wall to mount it on!

George,

This is an outstanding dune image. Simple, sure. But it’s also elegant, delicate and striking at the same time. The vertical capture enhances those descriptions as well.

Tiny suggestion. There’s a dark spec about 1/3 down from the top just below that very fine and delicate line in the sand. It’s a bit of an eye magnet. Very minor, but would consider if you ever print this.

Very sorry about your loss…

Lon

George, very sorry about your loss.

I agree with the others on this…simple and beautiful! The shapes, textures and subtle tones are very soothing to the eye! So well done!

Thx Dan.

Thanks Harley. Appreciate the response.

Thanks for the feedback Hank.