Mourning Dove

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome!

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Canon 5D3, Canon 600mm f/4 at f/11, 1/400, ISO 3200. Tripod, Wimberley head. Attracted to a feeder. Should have cut ISO and the SS in half as the bird was very peaceful and curious. May have been shooting earlier in lower light and neglected to change settings. Shadows and Highlights tweaked in LR and a bit of Clarity and Vibrance. Into PS for Topaz DeNoise AI but it would hardly show at this size. Denoise layer reduced to 75% opacity. Edges burned a little with a quick Mask and Curves.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A nice big stretch. Nice and sharp with lots of detail. BG does not seem to have suffered from f/11 and you may have benefited from the additional dof. Very nice.

Beautiful detail in the plumage of the dove, Diane. I like the pose and particularly the extended wing. If you have extra canvas, I think it could stand to move trifle to the right in the frame. Excellent image.

Thanks guys! It’s cropped a little from the bottom and left, so it would be easy to re-frame it. I was hoping to keep the visual weight of the wing from being too heavy on the right side, and the tilt of the head toward me pulls the visual flow back toward the center and doesn’t suggest needing a lot of room to move into on the left. But a little more on the left could be successful.

Wonderful shot: the color scheme is really nice and the stretched wing is great - for some reason I never seen doves do that (and cannot think of a reason why they shouldn’t :wink: ). Well done ! Hans