Startled Mourning Dove

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

This is likely the same Dove I posted yesterday, taken 10 days later. Canon 5D3, Canon 600 at f/11, ISO 1600, 1/400 sec. Tripod and blind. Attracted to a feeder. In the previous frame, two seconds before, it was sitting peacefully, then a Woodpecker landed on the right and startled it. The next frame, 2 seconds after that, it’s just the Woodpecker on the perch. Lucky timing. It was a horizontal frame and the tips of the wing and tail just fit in the frame so I added more top and bottom and cloned out the Woodpecker’s head. Minor tonal adjustments in LR.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Hi Dave
You have a nice looking Dove. The frame, detail and coloring look very good and Dove stands out from its’ back-ground.
Nice work.
Peter

That is really a lovely shot Diane, great to get the wings out and the beautiful tail spread. Nice soft lighting as well. It worked out for you well here, but I would probably have shot this at something more like 1/800 and F8. The reason is 1/400 is typically low for action shots and I think F8 would have given you sufficient depth of field. But that is not a criticism of the shot as it came out perfect.

I am glad I saw this in the Editors Picks because I might have missed it otherwise. I don’t venture into the avian section much although I should do it more often. This is beautiful. The bird’s pose, catchlight in the eyes, soft color palette, and OOF BG are all top notch.

Thanks guys, and thanks to someone for the Editor’s Pick! (Sooner or later I’ll figure out who’s who here.) I was lucky on the SS as I was only expecting to shoot a very calm subject. This Dove had become a regular, hanging out quietly on the fringes of the feeder activity, and sometimes rather shyly landing on a perch and just sitting quietly.

Beautiful image, Diane. The wing position is great and you still maintained a nice head turn. Detail is excellent through out and the added canvas looks fine. Congratulations on the Editor’s Pick.

Awesome photo. I tend to shoot slow and with a wide aperture as well. Old habits never die. This worked very well for you and I like the delicate lighting and blue eye-ring too. I hope that you print this one out and get it up on the wall as it is eye candy. I like this one as presented…Jim

A really beautiful photo of this Dove, Diane! The pastel colors of both the bird and the background make for a very pleasing image and the details are excellent. I’m very surprised that you were able to stop the wing action at 1/400! I would have expected a lot more blur. Nicely done and a good choice for the Editor’s pick.

Thanks everyone! I was surprised too, but I was in M mode and all the shots in that session were at 1/400, including one 2 seconds before and one 2 seconds after of the Woodpecker. I think it was a brief hesitation before it flew, as the veins in the wing feathers are clearly visible at 100%. (Luck has always been my best strategy. )

I too missed seeing this one, Diane. I agree with others about the wing up and the soft palette. Glad I saw it in Editor’s Pick. It is a great shot.

Diane
This is simply lovely. Congratulations on the EP!

Thanks guys! There is some lovely work here to compete with!

Lovely photo. I like the composition a bit more on this one. Dove seems to have a bit more room. Again very well done.

Really like the soft colors on the plumage of this bird!

Fantastic image Diane, and a well-deserved EP! Cheers, Hans