Mourning Dove

Another rather skittish species, though you wouldn’t know it from the number of feather piles we find. They seem to be a favorite of the Cooper’s Hawks. I’ve noticed that often when most of them take off at the slightest movement, one or two hang around and after a few minutes go back to eating-they’re probably the ones on the menu. Yesterday morning, I actually had two within a minute of one another that spent some time on this log lying behind my feeding station.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I used a tilt-shift blur on the background grasses to try to subdue them a bit. I noticed that it very quickly became unnatural looking, so hopefully I didn’t overdo it. I also used the healing brush to remove a couple of particularly annoying grass stems.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 403 mm, gimbal head mounted to blind window, f/8, 1/500, iso 1600, fill flash at -2 2/3 EV. Processed with LR & PS CC. Neat Image for noise reduction, Topaz Detail for feather enhancement. Tilt-shift blur on background. Cloned over flash catchlight. Cropped to 5286x3524 pixels before resizing for the web. Taken at 9:32 yesterday morning as the clouds started to lift.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Absolutely stunning image, Dennis. I can’t see how the light could have been any better to produce results as clean as this one is for overall detail…:+1:
Just love the sound of these guys when they fist take flight. Very distinguishable from many other avian on liftoff. …:sunglasses:

Nice environmental shot with the grass and the log perch. Good details and colors in the dove.

Very nice image, Dennis. I like the log you managed to catch him on. Wonderful color and details in this. I didn’t realize that they are on the Cooper’s Hawk’s menu though.