Mourning Dove

We get a lot of Mourning Doves around our house. This is a shot of one sitting on top of my children’s old play house in my back yard.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D7200; 100-400 mm @ 400mm; ISO 2000; f / 6.3; 1/400 sec.; Handheld

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Nick, this is a good looking view of this dove against a nice green background. The redness of the legs stands out against the background. Now I’m going to have to look at our local doves to check out their legs…:wink:

Hahaha. Thanks Mark. This was a particularly good looking dove.

A very nice job on the dove, Nick. Pose, detail and color rendition all work nicely. I also like the old playhouse perch. If I had to come up with a nit,it’s that the tip of the tail hits the right side of the frame. I think you could do a little “content-aware” addition to that side and maybe some touch-up cloning to give it just a little bit of room. Since the tail is so pointy, this is a very small nit-one that people have to look for.

You captured the nice subtle features of this dove. The blue eye-ring and red legs reveal that you have to look carefully to fully appreciate this mourning dove. The tail tip touching the frame is minor, but something to work on for the next shot…Jim

A particularly beautiful Dove and an excellent capture of it, Nick! The large version is especially nice as it shows off all the fine detail and the eyes. The green also makes for a complimentary color background for the brown dove.

Thanks Dennis, Jim & Gary. The reason I cropped it where I did is to avoid showing a big, ugly, rusted nut.