Mourning Dove

Another bird in an actual tree! From last Wednesday. I wish it didn’t have such a wary pose but the Doves around here seem to be very shy.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
Canon R5, 600 EF f/4 + 2X, ISO 1600, f/8, 1/640 sec. The first frame caught the whole bird but the head was perilously close to the top of the frame. I aimed the camera up a bit and got more BG on top but shifted it sideways a bit and cut off the tip of the tail. So I stacked the two and filled in the LR corner, and then needed to add still a bit more on top. Some BG cloning to remove some OOF branches, one of which was unattractively behind the head and exiting the butt. Very little done in raw – a little Clarity.

1 Like

We have a pair of Mourning Doves that make their home somewhere close by every year. We love to see them in our yard. Also love to hear them coo. And yes, they are a bit skittish.

I think you have a great image here, Diane. Nice line up on the branch and the background is nice and blurred. The colors are muted and appropriate for the bird.

This is a very nice capture of this Dove, Diane! Great colors, details and as good a composition you can get with this tight of a shot.

I think the pose rather suits a bird in mourning! You did an amazing job stacking 2 photos taken at slightly different angles. Maybe tone down the white patches a bit?

Thanks guys! @Mike_Friel, good idea – I did lower the Highlights but could go further with some low-opacity cloning.