Mud Cracks B&W

Rework with cloning in the URC, per @Kris_Smith suggestion

A study in texture and shapes from some mud cracks taken near Old Paria in Utah. In color the image was just so monochromatic that it didn’t seem that interesting to me. But after converting it to B&W, the image just seemed to have so much more vitality and depth to it.

To me, the cracks in the LLC appear visually to flow into the center of the image, and help support the overall composition. I’m curious if others see them instead as lines leading the viewer out of the frame. Just interested in learning if others perceive this differently than me.

Specific Feedback Requested

any critique or comments are welcome

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 28-70mm lens at 70mm, ISO 100, 1/6 sec at f16

5 Likes

This feels like a shot from an airplane or drone looking down at the land. It’s deceptive in that way and I really like the look. Well done.

Really good abstract. I find the LLC cracks lead me into the scene, helped by the look of a slight vignette. I really like this one.

Love this image. I would have thought this was wood, or even lava flow.

I see it as moving into the image and not out of it because I normally look from left to right. I’m also right handed. But I’m never confident about such things. I could easily be talked the other way around.

It’s an interesting statement about two forces, each confronting the other. Here’s a question. Which force is the dominant one? Is the top pushing down or the bottom enveloping the top. Either way there are some dynamics going on in this image and that’s what I find most interesting.

This is one of those images that’s tough to crop. No matter what you do you feel like you’re losing something. I think the variations in size and texture flowing from the top right works well. Yes, you have lines leading out of the frame, but there’s nothing you can do about that and I think forcing it would seem strange. That said, the first separate chunk that appears closest to the upper right could be cloned to match the smooth mud behind. As Igor said, it resembles wood quite a bit and is a rich, dark image full of interesting detail.

Another well executed image Ed. It does give the feeling of a cross section of a tree trunk. But how does that matter ? A lovely balance of grey tones across the image!

I love mud cracks and have never seen any resembling what you have found. The lines lead into the image for me. Your B&W conversion really enhances the texture. Well done!

Ed, I see this as all about the change is pattern, with the curved transition being an important element. The big cracks pull me in and seem like the key illustrating the change in texture. This would be much less interesting without those cracks.

Really liking this image Ed. The cracks definitely draws my eye IN and not out but like Igor, I’m right handed and tend to look at things from left to right, the same way I read a book. This doesn’t look like mud at all to me. It looks like wood. That’s what makes this a great abstract. You really don’t know what it is. The strong curving mud in the foreground provides a really nice border framing the much more textured interior of the frame and is very important to this image. Without it, this wouldn’t be nearly as successful as it is. I find that the right edge of the frame is less important for me with no foreground cracks and also that URC being a little bit plain compared to the rest of the scene. A crop from the right might actually work to eliminate a portion of the right side but I’m at work and can’t play around with it right now to see if that would help or hurt. Either way, this is a really sweet image!

A well seen and processed abstract Ed. I don’t think I would change a thing.

@David_Bostock @Harley_Goldman @Igor_Doncov @Kris_Smith @Karl_Zuzarte @Bill_Pelzmann
@Mark_Seaver @David_Haynes @Eva_McDermott

thank you for sharing your thoughts and comments, I appreciate hearing them.

Good pickup Kris, thanks for spotting that, it’s reflected in my rework above.

This looks like mudcracks to me, I was actually mildly surprised that a number of you thought this looked like wood.

Oooh I like it. There seems to be a remnant though…just a tiny bit. I know how you feel about edges, lol.

A metal print of this would be amazing.

This is a Cracker Ed

Thank you Joao, that is very humorous, I like it !!!