Mushroom Thunderhead

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any suggestions on how to improve

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any and All

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Early morning isolated thunderhead. Exposure was a bit too long for a 45mm focal length…Zoomed a bit, without reducing the exposure time. Stars are a bit smeared.
Nikon 810, Nikkor 28-300 f/3.5-5.6, ISO 400.
45mm, 20 sec, f/ 4.2
(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

ig cheryl_a_kuhl

That is such a stunning, and eye-catching subject that my complete attention is there, and not noticing the little star movements. If this were my shot I would have to seriously consider making it a wall-hanger print. Just wow! I wouldn’t change a thing.

Wow what a stunning capture of this dramatic weather, that cloud is amazing. Your processing of the cloud and night sky looks excellent. The smeared stars do not bother me in the least, I’m too busy looking at the cloud and lightning to nitpick about the stars. This is a pretty amazing capture, well done on your part :+1: :+1:

My only suggestion relates to the tree line, especially in the lower right corner. It looks like there is some haloing there. Since this is not a composite of multiple exposures, it’s not due to blending. It may be fog or it may be processing trying to get some detail in that area. I would try reducing the luminosity of those halos, their brightness pulls my eye away from that amazing cloud. There is a little haloing in the left side too, but the right side is the most distracting.

1 Like

That is a fantastic cloud formation in and of itself. The lightning and color are major bonus material and almost surreal. I see what you mean about the subtle streaks to the stars, but I’m not sure that’s a substantive distraction. I am seeing some haloing between the treeline and the distant mountains - perhaps that was there (light in the valley w/fog?). I also wonder if it would create a greater sense of expansiveness of the storm if you cropped a bit of the sky from the top in to more of a panoramic shot? Thanks for sharing - you were a lucky one to see this scene unfold! Tremendous moment captured.

1 Like

I agree, this would perhaps make the cloud even more impressive looking.

@Ed_McGuirk,@Jim_McG overn, @Dave_Douglass, Thanks for your suggestions. Points well taken, and do improve the image. The halos are lights from a small development reflected in fog from the rain the night before. I debated toning it down, and your are right about reducing the distraction. Also good to get your take on cropping…I have been in and out on that many times, so good to get your take!