Mushrooms in Repose

I loved the way this group of mushrooms composed themselves. They did all the work, I just took the picture – a kind of family shot. Over and above that, with the publication of Michael Pollan’s “How to Change Your Mind” and Merlin Sheldrake’s “Entangled Life” I have become enthralled with all things mycelium. I suspect I am building what will become a rather large family album.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m going for a graphic appeal. I love the fecundity, the fulsome roundness and sensuality of this grouping. Any feedback on that or other thoughts would, as always, be much appreciated.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No

2 Likes

Well I think you’ve got the female side of the family covered,

But all joking aside, I think this is excellent. In my view this is an Edward Weston type of image. His work was a study in form and thats how I see this. That, rather than a beautiful picture of mushrooms.

This is an excellent image Kerry, one of your best I think. There is a richness in the colors and shapes that does convey the fecundity and sensuality you talked about. But I love this image because it has a wonderful sense of intimacy. The frame filling view creates intimacy between the viewer and the subject. The background is minimal and unobtrusive, also fostering intimacy. There is a strong sense of intimacy between the overlapping shapes as they huddle together in a group. Notice that I did not use the word mushrooms in this critique until now, because to me this image is less about mushrooms than it is about relationships.

Excellent composition and beautiful grouping. It definitely says “family”! I particularly like the outlier or the ornery one at the edge…acting like a black sheep and striking out on his/her own in their own way…close to the family but clearly making their own statement. Superb shot.

@Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, @Jim_McGovern. Gentlemen, what can I say - 100% of people commenting on this image found it to be “excellent” :grin: Seriously, I particularly appreciated your comment, Ed, about intimacy. While I didn’t quite formulate that consciously, I strongly suspect it is what drew me to this grouping of mushrooms more than anything else.

Did you key them out? They could be edible. Speaking of Weston, they say he ate those famous vegetables he photographed. I used to know my mushrooms but the east coast ones have me baffled.

One always wonders if people who don’t agree with the ‘excellent’ comments just don’t want to comment at all.

I certainly think you achieved your goal to go for a graphic feeling. Others have stated that they like the way the mushrooms almost fill the frame but you’ve left just enough of a background to create a frame. I especially like the two colour/texture effect and the way it compliments the colours and texture of the mushrooms. Nice work!

@Igor_Doncov - I’m afraid my fungi literacy is a little on the weak side. There are a great many mushrooms around these parts that require a very sophisticated level of discernment to tell apart. In many cases the look-a-likes can sometimes be the difference between life and death. Every year I read about people here abouts who have been foraging their whole lives and make that fatal mistake. That being said, my wife is just now setting up to start growing a variety of mushrooms here at home - some for eating and some medicinal - which should be very exciting.
@Bill_Crich - Thanks for your comments. I got lucky with the two-colour background and was very pleased to see it there when I downloaded the image.