My Harlequin Romance

These shots are in my list of favorites for 2019 because they were a unique opportunity for me. I was sitting on the rocks at the Valdez Pink Salmon Hatchery trying to get some decent photos of the Sea Lions when 4 female Harlequin Ducks came paddling in from out in the bay. It was unique because I have very rarely seen Harlequins at Valdez and also odd that there were no males in the little group. They kept coming straight at me till they hit the beach at the boulders right beside me. Once they got there, they pretty much ignored me, started bathing and preening then settled down for the evening. It was difficult lighting as we were in the shade and there was a lot of reflected sunlight on the water plus the Harlequin hens are very dark, dull colored ducks but I got a number of decent shots. The first one was my favorite of the afternoon. I came back again, 3 days later, for another attempt at Sea Lion photos and was surprised to see the same 4 Harlequin hens still there, feeding in the outflow of the stream. Once again, it was difficult light and they were much more active but I was able to get some decent shots. The second two photos are from that day.

Harlequin Lady at Sundown - - My favorite shot of the first evening. She was very close to me (200mm - no crop) and she was just looking out into the bay with her wings spread wide. She wasn’t flapping, which was a good thing because I didn’t have a lot of shutter speed at the moment.

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 200mm, ISO-400, f/5.6, 1/1000, hand held.

Launch Time - - Taken 3 days later from the first one. The hens were much more active and were feeding in the fresh water stream. I caught this one as it leaped off a rock.

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 600mm, ISO-400, f/6.3, 1/2000, hand held.

Harlequin Island - - This Harlequin hen was perched on her own little rock island, taking a break from feeding and just watching her friends.

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 600mm, ISO-400, f/6.3, 1/2500, hand held.

Languid Lion - - Oh, and by the way, I did manage to get a few decent shots of the Steller Sea Lions. This was one of the ones I liked best because of the peaceful pose and the 3D appearance.

Sony a6500, FE200600G @ 600mm, ISO-400, f/6.3, 1/800, hand held.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Gary another group of excellent shots. The raised-leg, take off view had me laughing out loud, it’s great. The big eye of the sea lion really stands out, as do the pose and the bright water.

Great shots, Gary. I like the stare that the sea lion is giving you with that one eye!