Harlequin Duck

Always a pleasure to see these ducks.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 7D II; Sigma 150-600 mm at 500 mm. 1/320;f7.1;ISO250

Hi Allen,

I like the head turn and the overall color scheme of this scene. Might be a little tight on the bottom, but I think that you have enough of the rocks present for framing. You need to print and frame this one for display. Good job…Jim

1 Like

Allen, I can imagine it was a pleasure to see this duck, as well as to photograph him. I love the head turn too. The nice soft background (guessing it is the ocean) makes him stand out nicely.

1 Like

A sweet shot, Allen. I’ve yet to get anywhere close to this species. I like the way this shot shows off the plumage. and the foreground rocks are nicely sharp.

1 Like

Thanks, @Dennis_Plank. This was taken on the south jetty in Newport; so if you get down this way this is a good spot to see shore birds and I’ve seen the Harlequin Ducks here on at least three occasions and usually close to the jetty rocks. Also, the estuary around the Hatfield Marine Science Center is a good spot for birds as well, especially at high tide.

Excellent POV. I find the head turn quite nice. Good job on the detail.

1 Like

I imagine that it was ‘a pleasure’. I would have been thrilled :slight_smile: ! Love the cool tones of the image, since I associatie them with cold fast flowing rivers in Iceland :wink: . Love it ! Hans

1 Like