Mystery of the Past

Description:

Setting sun in White Sands, NM . The dune formations here are not as well defined and in general ,lack the texture and patterns you see in a traditional dune environment . The “sand” you walk on is not “sand” ,it is Gypsum ,which will absorb water. All in all a very interest place and well worth a visit.

Specific Feedback Requested:

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites)
NO Sony a7rlll f/11 auto Iso 1/50 sec.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Nice catch, James. I love the dark B&W treatment. The dunes are really a nice contrast to the clouds in the sky. Cool.

Another fascinating textural “abstract”. The textural mirroring between the dunes and the clouds looks very good. I’m debating about whether having the mountains totally black or with subtle texture as you show here would be the better look.

I too had the same head scratching on this part of the image. If I was printing ,I might lean towards pure black for the sake of contrast.

1 Like