Namgang Cliffs

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I tried to create a painterly effect by taking this through the car windshield at about 20 mph. I was not looking for a sense of locomotion, but rather for an impressionistic blurring of a view I like, where our local river, beyond the first set of trees here, flows under some cliffs.

Specific Feedback

I’d particularly like to know if the lines in this shot are harmonious to your eye. Any other comments welcome too.

Technical Details

D500 + 105mm 0.25 sec. f32 ISO 80

Some cropping; added contrast in PS

Mike,

This is quite different - I would even say unique. Kudos for coming up with this and attempting to render the scene in this way. I really like how the colors play with each other - especially the “cliffs” being echoed with the road lines and group of flowers. I’d say that both sides are complimentary.

I think you succeeded in getting the painterly look rather than depictng motion. And I know you described what you did, but some of it is a little confusing. The tops of the ridges look like a double, even triple exposure; and I’m assuming there is just 1 ridge line, right? So ridge line looks like 2 or 3 exposures. Whereas the cliff on the right and the road, and roadside certainly look more painterly and impressionistic.

You asked about the lines. I’m thinking not only the obvious lines of the road, but also how the ridge, cliff line and have a direction pull, and so with that I think there is some harmony in that. However, from a pure compositional perspective, the main lines come in, and then lead you out of the frame; the flowers are a great element, but those lines are heading out of the frame. Hope that makes sense.

Again, this is quite unique and has grown on me already. My only suggestion is a crop from the top as most of the empty sky isn’t really adding anything to the image. And a slightly narrower presentation might help with the lines.

Thanks for sharing,

Lon

ps. Were you the driver or passenger??? :face_with_peeking_eye: :face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth: :laughing: :innocent:

Thanks @Lon_Overacker for the detailed comments. Like you, I’m not all that happy with the road leading out of the picture. But I was attracted by the ridge lines and how they replicate shapes and directions, as there are really two pairs of ridges, on the right and the left. I was driving but I do recommend doing something like this as a passenger if possible :wink:!

1 Like