Narragansett Sunrise

This sunrise over the Atlantic ocean in Narragansett, RI was taken the same morning as my prior post, a shot of a tide pool at this same location. From the Photographers Ephemeris, I knew that the sun rose above the middle of this rock channel in early April. When I first arrived about 45 minutes before sunrise, there was hardly a cloud in the sky. The clouds quickly started moving in from west to east, and I was worried they might cover the eastern horizon before the sun actually got up. However, the Photo Gods were particularly benevolent with the clouds on this morning. They not only left me a gap at the eastern horizon for sunrise, but shortly afterwards it went completely overcast, allowing me to get the tide pool in my previous post.

For a sense of scale, the rock formation in the URC is about 20 feet tall above the water.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I would appreciate any critique or comments.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
This is a bracket of 3 exposures for dynamic range, manually blended using TK Luminosity masks.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
6 Likes

A fine sunburst, with interesting skies and a good view down this channel. The light on the rocks lrc is especially nice.

Wonderful shot Ed, I love everything about this image. Great composition, perfect editing and nice warm/cool color combination. I can’t see anything I would do differently.

Now that is the kind of sunrise I enjoy, Ed. This has a lovely balance of warm and cool tones that are very appealing. The sunstar is perfectly placed and I love that bit of warm light on the rocks in the LRC. The touch of warm color in the blue clouds is also a nice addition to this seascape. I was fortunate enough to catch conditions like this once in Shenandoah and once while on Cobble Beach and I will never forget either one.

I agree with @Mark_Seaver on that light on the rocks. It’s extremely pleasing to see that. However, I am a little torn about this one, Ed. Perhaps a smoother water will help?