"Narrows Abstract" November 2018, Zion National Park. Goal - create a unique image capturing the essence of the canyon and why so many people make the hike up the Virgin River

What technical feedback would you like if any?

open to all

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

looking specifically for feedback on composition…other is welcomed

Any pertinent technical details:

.5 Sec @ f11/ISO 100, Sony A7RII, Sony FE 16-35 @ 26mm

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

George, this is a very a dramatic abstract image. I like your concept of creating an abstract composition by zooming in on the walls and excluding the river. I think you have a nice balance between the wall on the left vs. the right, with one in deep shadow and one partially lit. Processing for extreme contrast like this is not easy, but I think you have done a pretty good job of retaining detail in the shadows , while not losing detail in the highlights. In terms of suggestions for improvements, I would think about doing some local dodging (brightening) of the areas within the shadowed walls that are already receiving some light, especially along the right side of the left wall, and portions of the right wall that are catching reflected light. This would add a little more punch. But overall, I really like your abstract view of the Narrows.

1 Like

Beautiful light and creative image. I would agree with Ed’s suggestions.

1 Like

I also agree with Ed’s suggestions but I must say, I really like this image. It is hard to not go for the big shot that we see so often. Those shots are beautiful but this one speaks much more to your vision, which you stated above. I feel your image is consistent with that vision. Well done.

1 Like

George,

Beautifully seen and captured. Great job in your attempt in coming away with something other than the regular views and comps we see. (I’ve never been myself…)

Along the lines of Ed’s comments, suggestions, it makes me think of the concept of the way the light bounces off the canyon walls. In this case, the light continually falls off each successive wall. With that in mind, one could think that the light falls off by half with each wall. While you’ve done a good job keeping this dark and still giving us hints of detail, I do think some selective brightening in areas to show the halving of light. Not sure if that makes sense. Actually, in looking at the larger version again, I think you’ve done that! Well done, like this very much.

Lon

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback Ed. Will definitely give it a shot.