Need input to exposure, compositon ect

I took these two photo’s on New Years morning on Mt Hood in Oregon.
I sure would like some input on composition, exposure and any other ideas you have to improve them.
The morning really didn’t get much color, there were low clouds to the east which blocked the sun as it rose, and only allowed the high clouds to get color. I was hanging around the tent doing family pics, then a little bit later, I moved over closer to the moraine where there was some more texture in the foreground and captures the first light on Mt Hood, which I wish I would have had in the color sky photo. It is not often up there when you get clean white snow, the wind blows all the dust and dirt from the White River canyon over the ridge making the snow very dirty.
I guess my lesson was scout the image the evening before to set up a spot where you want to get your fist light pictures.

1 Like

These are both beautiful scenes captured in beautiful light. The exposure looks good for both of these images. I really like the color palette in the first image. I think the composition is stronger in the second image because the lines in the snow are more defined and help pull my eye into the scene.

Processing looks good to me. I agree with @Brian_Schrayer about the comp being stronger in the second image for the reason he states. UNless with further processing you could bring out some patterns in the snow, I would probably crop some of the bottom off in the first image. There are also quite a few dust specs scattered through out in both images.
:vulcan_salute:

Both are nice scenes but the small details in the snow are not enough to pull me in. I might get closer isolating the tree group on the right keeping the peak left of center…of course not being there makes that hopeful speculation at best. Otherwise beautifully shot.

Kevin,

Both images are striking and beautiful in their own right. I’m in agreement with both Brian and Michael about both. Love the color palette in the first and perhaps a little cropping of the bottom. Initially I thought there wasn’t enough detail, but there is some texture there so I don’t think you need a big crop there.

The second one I’m really liking as presented. The color comb is striking and oh, the exposure in both appears to be quite perfect. You nailed them. and as we all know snow can be quite difficult - especially in direct light like you have on the mountain in the second image. Well done.

The only other suggestion might be some standard maintenance. You might want to clone out all the dust bunnies - especially if you ever think of printing.

Beautiful images - thanks for posting.

Lon

Thank you for your reply,

Thanks for your input, I will have to work on selective adjustments to only increase the details in that one section.

Thanks for the input. The feeling we first experienced when we went up on that ridge was the vastness of the snow, and I was trying to express that, I think I need to get back to the drawing board to be able transfer that feeling in a picture. I think I would have a better chance lower on the ridge when you first climb out of the ravine and see the expanse of the ridge.

Thank you for your input.
The dust is actually a feature of the Sony mirrorless cameras. They designed the sensor to attract dust so it doesn’t get on the back of the lens. Mt Hood has so much fine dust floating around even in winter, that if you change a lens, even in your tent, you run the risk on it getting on the sensor. I should have caught that in my reprocessing the pictures. My bad.