Never met a stranger

I’ll probably do a top 10 post like Ola did, but I thought I’d share this one separately because I think it’s the only one I haven’t shared here before.

Why it’s in my top 10 -

Because damn - lickable light. And the composition doesn’t suck. And shadows. Patterns and repetition. The hint of a trail. Perfect powder.

So it started out pretty good, but my skills with processing have also improved and I feel that I can now do justice to this image with Lightroom and Photoshop, using all the standard tools in the drawer, but also new ones. Every great photo has to start as a winner, but editing can make or break one and so this one makes it.

Specific Feedback Requested

Ideas and impressions welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Probably handheld - tripods in snow are a pain, and often not necessary in my opinion, but I sometimes use one.

Lightroom for initial RAW work to manage those tonal values, the 16:9 crop, white balance adjustment and a little bit of warming in the highlights. Texture & clarity where needed. Some sharpening. Photoshop to remove a few sticks in that smooth snow.

@the.wire.smith
2 Likes

Hi Kristen, well I’m a sucker for any kind of snow scene and this is a very appealing capture for the reasons you mention…lines, patterns and the nice side lighting, though I’m not sure what lickable light is :laughing:. And, trails leading off to who knows where are always a great addition to a wooded scene. Mostly, I’d have to say its the simplicity that makes it attractive.

Thanks @Jim_Lockhart - glad you like snow, too. Heading out in it today before it rains and melts a lot of it tomorrow.

Lickable light is light so good you want to lick it. Delicious light. Luscious light. You know it when you see it and this is it!

Definitely lickable light – a great term!! And a wonderful composition with the tree shadows showing the undulations in the snow.

I think you could have an alternative version with about half the darker distant woods, or exclude them completely. I don’t want to go back there – I just want to keep playing in the snow!

Thanks @Diane_Miller - I hadn’t thought about eliminating the trees, but I suppose it could work that way, to emphasize the snow and shadows, not necessarily what’s making them. It’s such an inviting bit of trail. I think I shoot it every time I walk there.