Memory remains

Had I not already made my top 10 picks, this might have edged in. Maybe. It’s not doing anything new insofar as my photography goes, but the light is just amazing. Right place, right time and all that, but also right sensibilities for this kind of shot and processing. And it’s such a cute little oak tree.

Specific Feedback Requested

I toned down the highlights at the base of the tree quite a bit. I want them tamed, but not gone since I think snow needs to be very white in direct sun. Thoughts?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Handheld - overexposed by about 1 1/3 stop

RAW processing in Lr - increased exposure a little, but brought down whites & highlights. Increased texture, clarity and added a bit of dehaze to bring out the colors of the reflected sky in the snow. Did a very small amount of color grading to warm the highlights a little. Cleaned up some debris on the snow in Photoshop.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Kris it would definitely be in my top ten had I shot it. You’re right, the light is perfect. I love everything about this image.

This small tree with it’s winter leaves is nicely isolated by the snow.

Thanks @David_Bostock & @Mark_Seaver - I can hardly walk 10 feet in a winter wood without stopping for something!

The little oak tree that could.; with the drooping weathered leaves my first impression was of the Charlie Brown Christmas tree. :smiley: The lighting is perfectly handled IMO and the textures in the snow are fantastic. Very nicely done Kris!

Definitely belongs in the top ten for anyone! Cuteness does not detract from a seriously great composition here – a wonderful little tree perched on a perfectly sculpted hillock in wonderful light!

Kris,An excellent image in the snow. A beautiful composition and I love the way you treated the snow in post processing.

Good one, Kris. Great simplicity and for me, it has quite the melancholy feel to it.

Thanks @Ed_Lowe, @Diane_Miller, @Ben_van_der_Sande & @Harley_Goldman - little scenes like this can be tricky, but I enjoy the challenge after I find them. Snowshoes make it a little harder, but not bad. We just got about 3 inches of snow. Not enough that I’ll need them, but enough to play in a little. If I get time.