Winter light

Even though I live in Canada we’ve had a strange winter and there was no snow on the ground in January. However the low light of Winter provides a different feel than summer

Type of Critique Requested

• Aesthetic: Feedback on the overall visual appeal of the image, including its color, lighting, cropping, and composition.
  • Conceptual: Feedback on the message and story conveyed by the image.
  • Emotional: Feedback on the emotional impact and artistic value of the image.
  • Technical: Feedback on the technical aspects of the image, such as exposure, color, focus and reproduction of colors and details, post-processing, and print quality.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

The low side/back light created interesting shadows cast on frost shrubs below. The structure of the oak tree contrasts with the shrubs. Is the image too warm? Are the edges too distracting

Technical Details

1/400 sec f/8 iso 640 handheld. 214mm on 200-600mm lens on full frame. Processed and cropped in LR.

1 Like

Nice. The top-down vantage point and line through the middle also imparts a sense of mystery or mythical. Nice light as you say…

1 Like

Sidelight love! Really great to bring up depth and contour in scenes like this - I don’t think it would work without that or the frost on everything. It doesn’t look too warm to me, but I would consider cropping a lot off the left. My eyes don’t want to go there, but want to linger on that spreading oak. You could keep the whole of the tree without losing the proportions, I think. A lovely view into one of the many aspects of winter.

1 Like

Bryan, the light is great. I also like how you’ve used the tree with its few remaining leaves as a foil to the darker parts. There a nice balance to the view. As a very minor nit, you might tone down (or even clone out) that bright twig in the middle of the trunk. The wintery feel is good here.

1 Like

Bryan, this is such a beautiful image! I really love the beautiful sidelight and the hint of autumn leaves still on the tree. I also like the warm tones the picture.

I too might consider cropping a bit off the left side to put the main focus on the beautiful tree. To make the tree even more stand out I also would consider maybe darkening down the bright shrubs at the bottom a bit. As the brightest element in the image my eye is magically drawn to them and away from the tree trunk.

Anyways, it is a very beautiful image and it makes me want to go for a walk through the woods right away!

1 Like