Light of the mid winter

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Midday light on the fifth of January, the sun is still below the horizon. -13F

Specific Feedback

All

Technical Details

F13 / 1/20 sec / iso100 /19mm

3 Likes

I think you have beautifully captured the extreme cold temperatures of this day, and the warmth of the sunrise/sunset is a welcome addition to temper that cold feeling. I love how my eye travels from the snow covered foreground tree to the midground snowy bush and then to the sunlit sky and back again. Nice capture.

Jorma,

Frigid comes to mind! Love the colors throughout too! Beautiful image.

Great job with the depth of field and having the main foreground tree nice and sharp; which really helps with the “sparkle” and beautiful light striking the tree. The glow on the horizon along with the mist adds great mood.

I’m wondering if you were able to isolate the tree at mid-ground? I really like the snow-covered rocks and of course the colors of along the horizon and reflected in the water. I see a wonderful image within the larger frame - but probably too much of a crop to be worth it.

Quite beautiful as presented. Not sure I could hang with -13F… ! Glad you did!

Thank you Claudia and Lo for the nice comments. It is sometimes difficult to show how freezing the air can be in these frosty pictures. The light can be both warm and freezing cold. I just have to try to decide how to bring it out in image processing.
Lon, There are dozens of pictures from this area and it’s not worth starting from one to edit something special

Brrrr, looks cold Jorma! The combination of warm and cool tones works very nicely as does the textures you captured in the snow and ice. Kudos for braving -13degrees; I’m not sure I could do it anymore.

I see another image focusing more on that little island in this lovely scene. I hope you do not mind, but here is a repost of what I was thinking. Maybe you already have a tighter crop. Beautifully done!

Thanks Ed, this looks really nice and it could be slightly trimmed from above. In this cold, you can’t change lenses when there would be snow inside the camera. That’s why you have to shoot with the optics of your choice. This is place of beginning of winter and I havequite a lot of pictures of this from a long time ago