Tree shadows on snow

Image Description

I love seeing the shadows of branches and whole trees on the snow. This time of year the sun is high enough and the ground often covered in snow, that it is a good time to see this happen. One challenge is how to frame it all, especially when walking (vs. flying), but this one seems to work, in part because the shadow was cast upwards on a slight hillside. I particularly liked the two trunks with a mess of branches between. The snow probably should have more detail but… it is what it is.

Specific Feedback and Self-Critique

any and all

Technical Details

Sony6000, 1/500, f/11, 65mm, ISO100 with adjustments to tone curves an conversion to B&W in LR

This is one of my favorite winter bonus treats as well. I’ve tried working with them, but haven’t had a lot of success. This is a pretty good attempt, but I wonder if a tighter crop might strengthen the composition. Particularly losing the darker section in the URC. The lower left part of the scene has the most interest for me and maybe a vertical crop will work, too. Last I find the snow itself could use a boost. When I work snow scenes I change the background of the editor to white so I can gauge how bright I need the snow to be. A lovely shadowy tangle for sure.

Many thanks, @Kris_Smith , and I love the idea of using the white background.

It works very well for snow or if you’re at White Sands!